This mediaeval village is the furthest outpost of the Romagna region, situated right on the border of the Marche. It dates back to Roman times, but reached its peak period in the early Renaissance, when the Malatesta family of Rimini took up residence here.
This village near the mediaeval town of Auditore served as an important bulwark for the Resistance during the latter years of the Second World War. It was on the famous Gothic Line, and the village hosts a well-known museum dedicated to this theme.
The village is more than 300 metres above sea level, and reached its period of greatest splendour during the first half of the sixteenth century, when it became a popular retreat for the Della Rovere family, Dukes of Urbino and Pesaro.
Many famous scholars and cultural figures have stayed here, including Terenzio Mamiani, Vincenzo Monti, Gioachino Rossini and Giacomo Leopardi.
The Castle of Verucchio, or the Malatesta Fortress, is built on a rocky spur that dominates the Val Marecchia, and has long acted as a belvedere and protective bulwark for the city of Rimini.
Verucchio has ancient origins (researchers have found evidence it was founded around 700 BC), and was recently included in the list of Italy's "most beautiful villages".
The city of San Marino, capital of the Republic of the same name, extends along the ridge of Mount Titano which reaches 750 metres above sea level at its highest point. This ancient town has developed its own historical traditions, as a result of independence from its neighbours from the year 1000 onwards.
This mountain resort is at a height of 748 metres, and takes its name from the flourishing hornbeam forests in the surrounding area. In the historic town centre, you can visit the Palace of the Princes of Carpegna Falconieri, dating back to the late seventeenth century.
This village at the foot of Mount Carpegna boasts a fortified castle designed by the famous architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini.
Set on a rocky spur almost 600 metres above sea level, it dominates the Marecchia valley with spectacular views of Mount Titano and the Republic of San Marino.
In the town square, you’ll find evidence of visits by St. Francis of Assisi in 1213 and of Dante Alighieri in 1306.
At the end of the eighteenth century, the famous adventurer and alchemist Cagliostro was held prisoner in the fortress.
Part of the "natural gorge" of the same name, it marked a vital point on the Via Flaminia, which connected Rome and Fano. The 8-metre long tunnel was built by Emperor Vespasian in 77 A.D., and is still open to traffic. The gorge is shielded by the Pietralata and Paganuccio mountains, which create a natural bastion between the Adriatic coast and the Umbria-Marche Apennines.
The ideal model of a Renaissance town, with a historic centre that represents one of the finest examples of fifteenth-century Italian architecture. In addition to the Cathedral, be sure to visit the Ducal Palace, built by Federico da Montefeltro in the second half of the fifteenth century. Also, look out for the paintings by Federico Barocci and his school, to be found in many churches and chapels around the town.
Situated at the foot of Mount Titano but still within the Rimini area, Coriano has a history stretching back over 2,500 years, to the time of the Etruscans, Umbrians and Romans. It was later settled by the Malatesta family of Rimini. The motorcycle champion Marco Simoncelli grew up in Coriano, and the village contains many tributes to his memory.